The origin of the School of Law at Kanazawa University can be traced to the time when the Division of Law of the Teacher Training School was established by Ishikawa Prefecture in May 1881. This Teacher Training School later became to the vocational college of Ishikawa Prefecture (1881-1887) and the Fourth Upper High School (1887-1949). In 1949, the Faculty of Law and Letters was established as one of the six Faculties of the newly established Kanazawa University. In 1980, the Faculty of Law and Letters was divided into three Faculties: the Faculty of Law, the Faculty of Letters and the Faculty of Economics. With the reorganization of Kanazawa University in April 2008, the Faculty of Law evolves into the School of Law in the College of Humanities and the Social Sciences.